Nothing says spring like radishes and arugula. Both are ridiculously easy to grow and perfect to start in March. Better than the ease is being able to taste an early harvest while the rest of your garden is growing and developing flavor.
Roasting radishes takes the sharpness - the part that turns some people off - out of these ruby jewels. In the oven, they almost take on a sweet note and transform into something with a little bit of a smoother texture. That’s why pairing them with an arugula drizzle brings back balance. The peppery green brings freshness and seasoning, without knocking you off your feet. Serve them with the comforting nuttiness of warm brown butter rice, and we’re in business!
Roasted Radishes with Brown Butter Rice and Arugula Sauce
About 1-2 servings
10 large radishes
1 Tablespoon olive oil
Pinch of salt and pepper
2 cups water
1 cup white rice
3 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups arugula
2 garlic cloves
¼ cup olive oil
2 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
½ teaspoon salt
- Turn oven to 425°F. Wash, trim off leaves and root ends, then quarter cut the radishes.
- Lightly coat the radishes on a baking sheet with olive oil. Arrange skin side down and sprinkle on a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes.
- In a small pot, carefully brown butter on a medium-low heat. Add the vegetable oil and stir in the rice and salt, coating all the kernels.
- Turn the stove top to medium high to toast the rice for about 3 - 5 minutes, occasionally stirring. Add in the water and bring to a boil, then immediately turn heat to low and cover the pot with a lid. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Put the arugula and roughly chopped garlic in a food processor and pulse. Turn the food processor completely on, then add olive oil, vinegar and salt. Keep food processor on for about 3 more minutes, or until desired consistency.
- Fluff the rice into a bowl then add the roasted radishes on top. Drizzle on the arugula sauce.