Sometimes I feel like I get the short end of the stick for breakfast since I prefer savory over sweet. Especially now that I'm on this baking kick, I can't help but notice that sugar is king.
Then I found this basic muffin recipe from Epicurious and remembered that I get along with the less sweeter cousin of the cupcake. Even better, this is great for a quick bite in the morning without feeling like you need to go to the dentist. Plus, with the added Vitamin C, we're off to a great start!
Speaking of orange, I love how it's a perfect companion for nutmeg. It almost makes the kitchen smell like the holidays all over again.
If you are in the mood for a sweet treat, here's a simple icing to make the muffins just a little bit fancy. And by the way, Happy Valentine's Day to you!
Orange & Nutmeg Muffins
24 mini muffins
Lovingly adapted from Epicurious
1 medium orange, zest and juice
2 cups flour, all purpose
3 TBSP sugar
1 TBSP baking powder
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
4 TBSP butter, melted
1 tsp nutmeg
½ tsp salt
½ tsp vanilla
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together.
- Add beaten egg, milk and melted butter. Mix well.
- Add juice and zest of a medium orange.
- Grease or line mini muffin pan with paper cups. Fill each spot ⅔ of the way to the top.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes in a 350°F oven.
- Let the muffins cool before icing.